Suren Das College, Hajo, established on 29th August, 1979, is the only nerve centre of higher education in the greater Hajo area. The institution was formerly known as HajoAnchalik College and was housed in the premises of S.B.S.K.R. Higher Secondary School, Hajo. The dream and untiring efforts of a group of benevolent persons and educationists of Hajo area led to the creation of this institute. The mass participation of the people is evident in the immense contributions of various organizations to the college. One fine such example is the No. 1 HajoGaonPanchayatSamabaySamity. The organization has been contributing substantially towards growth and development of the college ever since its inception. The organization has donated the science building of the College.
The family of Late Suren Das (20February, 1925 – 18th March, 1982), a philanthropist, donated the existing Arts building of the College on the land relinquished in favour of the college by the DhoparguriSatra authority. As a mark of respect to their contributions, the Governing Body of the College decided to rename the College as Suren Das College in 1985. The College came under deficit grants-in-aid system w.e.f. 1st January, 1987 and has been permanently affiliated to Gauhati University w.e.f. 1994 and is registered under 2(F) and 12(B) of the UGC Act 1956 w.e.f. 1994-95.
Empowering the Rural Masses through Quality Education and Enabling the Youths to Meet the Challenges of Future.
We shall continue to be an institute with a difference by developing competent, committed and compassionate leaders through Education, Knowledge generation and dissemination, Capacity building, skill enabled learning and organizational developing.
The College is located at an ideal tranquil site in front of the famous DhoparguriSatra established by the great Vaisnava Saint Sri SriMadhabadeva, sprawling over more than 15 Bighas of land. The place itself has immense historical and socio-anthropological importance. People from all walks of life come to Hajo to visit the famous Panchatirthas - Kedareswara, Kamaleshwara, Kameswara, Ganesh and HayagribaMadhaba. The coexistence of the Panchatirthas and the Poa mecca shrine fosters brotherhood and creates amity among the many religious sects. Conveniently, the institution is located on the Barpeta-Daulasal-Guwahati and Hajo-Nalbari road, about 25 kms from Jalukbari, Guwahati. Easy access of communication to different places provides a congenial atmosphere for diligent academic pursuit.